Tuesday 26 April 2016
Law Society, Level 2, 170 Phillip Street, Sydney 2000
President/Chair: Katherine Johnson
Secretary: Wendy Buchanan
Members Attending: Jane Houselander, Laurence Boulle, Paula Castile, Emily Kwok, Mark Brady, Salli Browning
Apologies: Jean Marcel Malliate, Naomi Holtring, Dennis Nolan, Margaret McCue, Ann Fieldhouse, Peter O’Brien, Paul Gibson, Andrew Wong, Allan Parker, Mary Walker.
Guest Speaker: Nil
Meeting commenced at 6.30 pm. ADRA Board resolved that:
1. Leading Growth and Direction:
- Minutes of last meeting be received and accepted – Moved by Paula Castile, Seconded by Wendy Buchanan.
- Attorney General, Senator Brandis was unable to attend the DR Industry Forum day on 14 May as Guest Speaker, nor was he able to send representative. As the members of the steering committee have other pressing commitments it was decided to change the date from 14 May to 12 August at the last steering committee meeting on 28 March. The venue will still be at the ADC courtesy of Deborah Lockhart whom we thank. The draft program will remain the same and a further attempt to invite George Brandis will made. If unsuccessful we will continue with another guest speaker on 12 August. Simon has agreed to send a draft template to Katherine Johnson shortly to forward to the steering committee for their input on the content of the website.
- Katherine informed the board that Jeremy Gormley the former President of NADRAC will be discussing the future of ADRAC at the Forum.; Alysoun Boyle will be giving a talk about the Resolution Institute and Fiona Hollier has been asked to talk about the Global Pound Conference. In addition Paul Gibson may be talking on AMATI but this is to be confirmed.
- Plans for ADRA's 30th Birthday Celebrations are now finalised. Currently we have about 20 people who have registered for the celebrations and about the same number for the dinner. Please note that International Conferences and Events (ICE) are the organizers for the NMC in the Gold Coast in September 2016, and have freely assisted ADRA by sending our 30th Celebrations invitation to members on their data list. ADRA sends a special thanks to ICE and has invited its director, Raquel Robson to our dinner. ADRA's archived documents that Anne Ardagh has sorted for her talk at ADRA’a 30th Celebrations are now down to two-three A4 sized boxes. Andrew Wong has suggested that he has a colleague Nira, who is willing to scan the documents for placement on ADRA’s website for about $20/hour. The Board resolved that Andrew’s colleague should be contacted to start scanning as soon as possible.
- Mary Walker confirmed that Jesse Street will be the guest speaker on behalf of Sir Laurence for the dinner.Many thanks Mary. Salli Browning to supply Mary with further bio information re Sir Laurence. Many thanks Salli.
2. Policy Issues:
- An active succession plan for 2016 is now being encouraged. We look forward to hearing from executive members who may be interested in taking the role of President in June 2016.
- A request was made for ADRA to perform an assessment for National Accreditation by one of its members. The Board resolved that ADRA is an accreditation body and not an Assessment body at this time. Salli Browning was prepared to discuss further options for assessment with this member. Thanks Salli.
- Simon Olsen indicated that ADRA’s name was incorrectly spelt on our ABN registration form and that it required correction. In our attempts to correct the name, forms for the ATO had to be completed which were done so last month. Katherine received a call from the ATO stating that they required minutes of the meeting stating that the Public Officer, who is listed as Katherine Johnson with ATSIC needs also to be listed with the ATO. To do so, Minutes of the meeting endorsing this action had to be sent to the ATO after which correction of our name could be made. These minutes endorse that action and will be sent to the ATO for that purpose.
- Our next AGM will be held on 23 August 2016. Wendy will notify members prior to the 24 May ADRA meeting about the AGM and ask for nominations for executive positions on the board. Please note that current member can self-nominate for executive positions on the Board and Wendy will shortly sent out information re the election process.
- The peer-support program is a new policy initiative that begins when a member joins ADRA and they are allocated to an executive member for peer support. This replaces the previous 'buddy system'. The executive member will receive an email with the new member’s phone number and will make contact as soon as possible to introduce themselves as the peer supporter. The time spent together either on the phone or in person will count towards continuing professional development and can include active participation by the new member in ADRA events and/or meetings. The aim is that the new member has a sense of belonging and has a contact point about how ADRA can best meet their needs. For example the new member can promote a paper they have written for placement on the website under ‘Professional Matters’ or can give a talk on a topic on which they would like to receive some feedback; etc. Any such professional discussion contributes to accumulating continuing professional development points (CPD).
3. Finance: Treasurer's Report:
- As Margaret was not in attendance, Wendy read out the latest figures up to 24 April 2016 which were $11,296.04 in our Cheque Account; and $3278.18 in the PayPal Account. This equates to a total of $14,574.22 as our working monies and we still have approximately $16,232.00 in our term deposit.
- Katherine Johnson handed over last month’s statements from the Commonwealth Bank to Wendy Buchanan.
- There has been no correspondence other than junk mail in the ADRA Post Box as from 29 March, 2016. Arrangements will shortly be made to have the bank statements sent directly to Wendy as our correspondence officer.
- Many emails have been received from new members joining ADRA and we thank Dennis Nolan for his very warm welcome of the new members.
- Email received from Frank Owusu asking if University students can attend our 30th celebrations to which Katherine replied in the affirmative.
- Phone call received from Maureen Dawson-Smith re her name not being on the MSB list from 17 September 2015 when Peter O’Brien accredited her. Katherine explained to Maureen that she contacted Val Sinclair from the MSB who passed on the message to Franca Petrone who was in charge of the accreditation list. Peter has since re-sent the list to the MSB and Katherine who will forward it again to Val Sinclair and Franca Petrone. This will be an agenda item for next month.
- Emails have also been received from prospective members wanting insurance. Katherine has directed them to Stephanie on our web-page as the GIO representative. This contact is currently working well but needs more advertising.
- Robert Lopich has joined ADRA as an organizational member via Mediate Today. We encourage more organizational members to join ADRA.
5. Practitioner Support: Membership Officer:
- Details of the monthly activity for Campaign Monitor will be forwarded to the executive by Wendy to demonstrate our monthly activity. Many thanks Wendy.
- Membership drive suggestions include promoting ADRA to those attending accreditation courses such as ACDC, Universities and higher education centres. Many thanks Salli for promoting ADRA at training courses. Simon has already accommodated most of the suggestions on our website. Other volunteers to promote ADRA would be greatly appreciated.
6. MPN Sessions
- The first MPN convened by Wendy and Margaret was very successful and attendees requested that the sessions be monthly. The Board resolved that it would provide co-ordinators to convene the MPN sessions for any group (four or more people) that requested same. The board further resolved that time spent at these sessions could be counted as continuing professional development points (CPD) with supervision. This is a much cheaper option for members than any other supervision program available to date which gives members the opportunity to practice and improve their skills with the supervision of a senior Mediator for the cost of $10.00 for members and $25 for non-members via paypal.
- Current volunteers for MPN sessions:
- Saturday 4 June 2016 at the RSL, George street Sydney, 10:30am with Jane Houselander and Paula Castile on Agenda Setting.
- Monday 5 September 2016 at Law Society, NSW 170 Phillip Street Sydney, at 5:30pm with Peter O'Brien and Wendy Buchanan on Exploration
- Saturday 3rd December 2016 at George street RSL with Mary Reheby and Salli Browning on Agreements
- Many thanks to the volunteers
3. Upcoming Events.
- 30th B/day celebrations on 30 June
- ADRA’s AGM is on 23 August 2016.
- MPN events in June, September and December
4. Other Business
- Re-accreditation for ADRA members will be required shortly. Please download the re-accreditation form from the website and after completing it please forward it to Peter O’Brien to avoid delay in sending the list to the MSB.
- Katherine has returned $190 to Micheline Dewdney who paid $300 to attend the ADRA celebrations and dinner. Micheline rang to thank ADRA via Katherine. It was resolved at the April meeting that Life members need only pay the non-practitioner rate of $110 to date the celebrations and that ADRA would subsidize the dinner for our Life members.
- Wendy to contact Allan Parker who has also paid $300 to notify of the overpayment. If Allan insists on making a contribution ADRA will contribute that money towards hiring the Jazz band for the evening.
- The Board resolved that payment of $100/ musician for the evening for up to 4 musicians would be made. Many thanks to Paula Castile, Margaret McCue and Mark Brady who have pledged to contribute $100 each towards the Jazz Band.
- The Board also resolved that the following contributors should be invited to the ADRA dinner at ADRA’s expense:
- Simon Olsen (web designer)
- Andrew Wong (web administrator)
- Raquel Robson (ICE director offering free marketing for ADRA’s invitation.
- Cathie Thompson (GIO) offering cheaper insurance for ADRA members
- Katie Healey from the Law Society for free venue for ADRA monthly Meetings.
- Next meeting for ADRA is on 24 May 2016 at 5:30pm at the Law Society, 170 Phillip Street Sydney. Please note that ADRA meets every 4th Tuesday of the month and some months in 2016 have 5 Tuesdays. 26 April 2016 meeting concluded at 7:45 pm. Many thanks to those who participated. We look forward to implementing our new plans.